Parker Software Ltd Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ThinkAutomation Business Process Automation > ThinkAutomation Version 4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is the current version

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bickell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the current version
    Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 9:58am
I am confused about the current version of TA.   

We were provided with a release via an emailed link sometime last summer and after installing, it showed we are currently on version 4.1.1586.   

I occasionally check the website for the latest releases and for the past 6 - 8  months or so, it always shows that the latest version is at 4.1.1571  (older than what we currently have).

This is a frequent source of confusion.  I have often mentioned this to tech support and customer support with promises of getting that page updated, and making the release notes available for 4.1.1586.   I had been promised that the release notes would be emailed to me a couple of different times, but those promises were not kept.   I often wonder if the page we see on the website that lists the current version is somehow tied to our serial number and that the version we are shown is "stuck" due to some special flag on our account.  

Our maintenance contract expires in less than two weeks and we are about to get a quote for another year of maintenance.  I have to justify this to my manager, but with the lack of attention to detail concerning the latest versions, lack of release notes the site about releases, bugs we have found, I am having a hard time justifying the expense. 

What is the latest version that most of you have?   What is the latest version you see when checking the following page:  http://www.thinkautomation.com/updates.aspx

There is a "sticky" announcement in this forum section about the latest version of email2db, but not TA.  Seems like a simple thing to communicate to customers here in the forum, or on the web page about this issue. 

bickell View Drop Down
New User
New User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bickell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:43pm
Today I received an email from a support technician to inform me that the release notes page had been very recently updated.   Lo and behold, the page tells me that 4.1.1588,   (newer than what we have been running,)  was released on 1 March 2017.  Well, actually that was the "build" date, so I don't know when and if it released or not.     The TA update check mechanism never told me the update was available. 

Whatever the case may be, our maintenance contract expired 13 days ago and I checked multiple times for updates between April 24 and May 9,  BEFORE our maintenance expired.  

The 4.1.1588 update was never posted, offered or advertised on anything I had access to, until today.  

Now that our maintenance has expired, I find out it was available before our said maintenance expired, but since we are expired now, can't get the update that was supposedly available before May 9th.  

What the heck is going on?  Was someone promoted to Major Major recently?  

Edited by bickell - 22 May 2017 at 1:59pm
Daniel Horton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Technical Support

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel Horton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 4:34am
Hi Bickell,

I have seen that you shared your frustration directly with both our Technical Support and Customer Services team and so I have responded directly via email.

Here is the information that I shared and if you have any further feedback then please let me know:

Quote It appears that there have been issues with the both a process on our side for publishing smaller build release notes and our websites. I have asked both teams involved to review their processes and I believe they have the correct understanding of the issues, to work on these items and make sure that our customers are well informed for our future releases.

As there is a problem with the process, internal systems that control these elements are under review to ensure that they are automated and without human error. I trust that our development team are able to find all possible areas of failure and address them accordingly. The core issue with the release notes not being updated over the past few minor builds, appears to come from the way that the product is published. Small revisions to third party components, Help file text/image changes and other items similar when saved and deployed alter the build number. This is something that the development team are looking into, but release notes for the major deployments will give clarity on this to ensure you are informed.

Edited by Daniel Horton - 23 May 2017 at 4:34am
Best Regards,

Daniel James Horton
Technical Manager
Parker Software
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic